AR22 Rational prescribing for airway disease
These courses are specifically designed for NMPs. They will ensure you are up-to-date with prescribing information and help you meet the increasing demands of prescribing within the new NHS. The courses focus on applied therapeutics, cost effectiveness and national guidelines.
This course is a must for experienced and new NMPs running asthma or COPD clinics. It focuses on effective prescribing for patients with airway disease and covers asthma, COPD, new drug developments and compliance issues.
Who should attend?
Aims / objectives
- Develop a firm grasp of respiratory pathology
- Understand clinical therapeutics and airway disease
- Be able to manage patients with airway conditions according to national guidelines
- Feel more confident with issues surrounding health psychology and compliance, using an effective behavioural approach
- Have an insight into the future of respiratory care
- Introduction to respiratory pharmacology: beta-agonists, vagal nerve blockers, mast cell mediators, LTRAs, phosphodiesterase inhibitors, theophylline & related compounds.
- Airways disease - COPD management, prescribing in COPD.
- Airways disease - asthma management, prescribing in asthma.
- National guidelines - NICE, GOLD, BTS, SIGN.
- Steroids: efficacy, safety, risk management, ADR & adrenal suppression.
- Evidence based medicine - applying principles.
- Cost effective prescribing/rationale prescribing: cost effectiveness, cost benefit and cost utility in asthma & COPD.
- New developments - drugs in airways disease, new procedures, clinical trials.