AR108 Telephone triage: core skills
This interactive study day provides participants with practical tools and techniques to conduct safe and effective telephone triage. The programme is flexible and can be adapted to workplace requirements.
Who should attend?
Allied health professionals
Aims / objectives
- Explore the advantages and risks of telephone triage.
- Demonstrate the general principles and core skills needed in managing a triage call in a safe and comprehensive manner.
- Discuss what the essential components and minimum standard of a telephone triage protocol should contain.
- Explore documentation and legal issues.
- Work through triage situations via case scenarios/role play to consolidate learning.
- Discuss support systems required for telephone triage in individual areas.
- Why telephone triage, pros and cons
- Managing a triage call, including
- Establishing a helpful relationship and active listening.
- Different questioning techniques
- Structuring the call
- Do's and dont's
- Legal implications, including documentation.
- Overview of common triage calls- covering main body systems : a Problem based approach
- Case scenario practice covering minor and major ailments and long-term health conditions as required by participant's area of practice.
- Support systems; principles of writing protocols, audit and a discussion of what is needed in individual areas.